Temporary Contract Work at TVA
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration: Approx. 6 months
Location: This position is for a local hire in the Knoxville area.
– Per diem will not be paid unless contractor is directed to support another location in the TVA fleet.
– This position is intended to support Kingston and Bull Run Fossil Plants, as well as other projects in East Tennessee and potentially across the TVA fleet as directed.
TVA Organization: Generation Construction
Pay: $40.00 to $56.00 per hour, depending on experience
Work Schedule: Work may be intermittent and also has the potential to involve up to 7 x 12 hour days and night shift support
To apply, email your resume to: gro.IVByMnull@seyahlk
This position is for a construction manager with extensive experience in power plant generation, with work location typically being a power plant. Should be familiar with power boilers, large projects, and component inspection. Certification as boiler inspector, welding inspector, piping inspector, electrical, or other power plant certification is encouraged.
- Responsible for providing leadership and overall planning for optimizing generation project construction performance and control, direction, management, coordination, implementation, safety, budget, execution, and completion of specific non-nuclear generation construction projects according to specifications, within budget, potentially from initiation through completion, typically for phase 3 execution, and is accountable and responsible for what happens, or fails to happen, on assigned work site.
- Supports joint project teams, applies professional principles, construction practices and techniques, controls project schedule, cost, and performance risk to ensure project is safely completed within a certain set of constraints (e.g. time, budget, personnel, quality, materials) with a high level of quality which includes construction, procurement, coordinating commissioning, start-up, and testing.
- Is the single point of contact for construction regarding a specific project; may assume the on-site leadership role in managing the project to ensure safety, environmental, budget, schedule, and constructability goals are met and ensure project needs are promptly and effectively addressed. Performs other duties as assigned.
The construction manager will be performing in the role of a variable workforce construction manager (not performing base-loaded work), supporting KIF plant, BRF plant, and other projects and work scopes in the East Tennessee area and potentially across the TVA fleet as directed.
This position is responsible for the construction and installation of all non-nuclear new and replacement generation, which includes but is not limited to combined cycle (CC), and simple cycle (CT) new and replacement generation. It encompasses the following aspects of a project’s functions: construction, procurement, coordinating commissioning, startup and testing of major CC and CT new generation projects that are required to meet TVA’s generation needs. Directs the onsite construction to ensure safety, environmental, budget, and schedule goals are met.
This position also functions as the primary TVA representative on the construction site for local communitiy relations, political interface, and TVA good will, when affected by events surrounding the project.
Supervisory responsibility — this position supervises a team of 8 to 30 personnel consisting of both TVA-direct employees and contractor employees. The TVA employees (via a matrix organization) and contractors may include (will vary project to project): Business Support Reps, Project Control Specialists, Engineers, Construction specialists (civil, electrical, mechanical, i&c, piping), EHS specialists, and possible CT plant personnel (CT Op Technicians). Provides daily supervision of 200 to 600 matrixed contract personnel on the construction site.
Education and Experience
– Education: BS in engineering or equivalent education, training and experience
– Experience: Extensive experience managing large construction projects (greater than $100 million) in an engineering/construction/modification business. Must have extensive project manager/construction manager experience (minimum of 2 years managing large projects). Prefer 15 or more years experience managing CC, CT, coal or other power plant projects as a construction manager.
– Certification/license etc: Project manager certification is desirable
– Broad knowledge and experience in all phases of power plant construction is required, with a solid understanding of CT, CC, coal or other power plants. An in-depth knowledge of environmental, health, and safety with respect to construction project execution is also required.
– Strong facilitative leadership skills, the ability to function effectively in a team environment, a strong focus on results, self motivated, with high personal and ethical standards.
– Strong organizational skills, excellent interpersonal skills, analysis, and an owner’s representative experience.
– Must have a working understanding of major procurement and construction contracting, cost accounting, budgeting, and scheduling is required.
– Candidate may be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance based on position / access requirements and essential job functions.
You must be a TVA retiree or former employee to perform contract work through BVI.
In addition, you must be in compliance with TVA’s Contractor Return Restrictions.