Temporary Contract Work at TVA
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration: 3 to 6 months
Location: Shawnee Fossil Plant (near Paducah KY) and potentially other TVA plant locations, with work scopes being supported including, but not limited to: Main Station Service Transformers, SCR, Precipitator, Generator and Generator Exciter, Condenser, Voltage Regulator, Boiler, Valves, and other assigned work scopes
TVA Organization: Generation Projects & Support Services
Pay: $47 to $58 per hour, depending on experience
Work Schedule: Full time, Monday through Friday, potentially Saturdays and Sundays; may be either day shift or night shift
To apply, email your resume to: gro.IVByMnull@seyahlk
- Responsible for leading the construction effort and optimizing Generation Project Construction performance for non-nuclear Generation construction projects according to specifications, within budget and schedule, from initiation through completion. Encompasses supporting the following aspects of project functions: project development, engineering/design, procurement, coordinating commissioning, start-up, and testing.
- Responsible for managing mutiple construction projects at one time. Single point of contact for Construction regarding a specific Construction project, and assumes the leadership role in managing the project to ensure Safety, environmental, budget, schedule, and constructability goals are met and ensures customer project needs are promptly and effectively addressed.
- Responsibilities include: oversight, evaluation, and improvement of Generation Project construction Capital and O&M projects; acts as Project Manager’s lead and is accountable for Phase 3 during project implementation, provides for direct oversight of contractors and partners implementing project field related work, responsible for ensuring appropriate work, Safety, and Quality plans are developed for assigned scopes, oversees, monitors, and controls daily project implementation and reports on progress, manages events and provides schedule updates for project scopes, responsible for schedule, cost performance, Project turnover and acceptance, In-Service Date (ISD), and punch list items, and responsible for Project Quality Plan to include commissioning and post-maintenance testing requirements.
- Assists with decisions on budgeting and prioritization of multiple projects for multiple sites to accomplish TVA corporate strategies; and provides technical expertise and Construction management. Accountable for leading a team of cross-functional personnel, setting direction and prioritizing resources. Results are primarily achieved through the work of others and typically depend on the incumbent’s ability to influence and negotiate with parts of the organization where formal authority is not held. Decisions are guided by resource availability and project objectives.
- Ensures TVA Health and Safety Procedures/Policies and processes are performed, personnel supervised are Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) 10 trained as a minimum, and have proper tools needed to perform to work safely and efficiently, development of training matrix and checklist to comply with TVA Safety Manual is performed, ensuring appropriate Behavior Based Safety and Environmental programs/plans are fully implemented, and ensures communication, quality, cost effectiveness, timely completion, and performance of each project assigned is performed.
- Meets pre-established Project Safety and Environmental goals. Responsible for ensuring a Safety culture of Zero Injuries for the Project contruction site including monitoring and daily assessing construction safety.
- Lead for Orientation and Training of construction personnel including; developing pre-Outage work list to include site activities such as; services, equipment rentals, lighting, storage areas, coordination of Construction Employee Badging and Check In activities – TVA Form 40156, development of Plant Orientation Package for all Construction Employees – or use of an existing Plant Specific package, contractor drug testing, coordination with Plant for parking for vendors and craft, and proper housekeeping is maintained.
- Reviews project specifications to determine appropriate construction methods and requirements.
- Prepares and documents procedures to implement Construction and Outage management processes and policy including developing Construction and Outage management planning documents and implements plan to ensure sound outage execution.
- Develops, manages, and maintains an integrated multifunctional construction plan, construction scope, schedule, cost, cost forecasts, contingency planning, project log, and risk forecasts (e.g., project timelines, logical steps, and milestones using formal processes and appropriate tools, such as project management software), a system for monitoring and posting of project metrics to ensure performance standards are met, status of Change Orders for construction and tracking field changes, appropriate approvals are coordinated, are clearly developed, tracked, updated, managed, and executed in a timely manner, within the approved baseline to provide project completion within pre-established goals and targets, with any changes to the construction baseline coordinated through the Project Manager (PM), including all Phase 3 activities, as well as developing any budget or schedule recovery plans as necessary to complete the project as required with written justification descriptions for the customer as required.
- Manages all aspects of the daily activities on a construction site for Generation construction projects from mobilization on site through plant startup and testing, and is accountable and responsible for what happens, or fails to happen, on the assigned work site.
- Initiates changes to construction baseline when appropriate.
- May perform as a Contract Technical Steward/Contract Technical Manager.
- Takes actions to appropriately deal with the results of delays, bad weather, or emergencies at construction site.
- Performs Root Cause and Apparent Analyses and resolves outage problems that involve staffing, scheduling, and cost discrepancies, as requested.
- Supports and may lead various teams in the post-outage review, lessons learned, punch list, and final outage report processes.
- Manages personnel to ensure Safety and Environmental standards are understood and adhered to, including review and approval of work packages and Job Safety Analysis (JSA) for Generation construction projects.
- Leads operability and constructability reviews for assigned Capital and O&M projects.
- Ensures Environmental Checklists (TVA Form 20752), Quality Plans, Invoices, Commodity curves, Staffing plans, work packages, applicable TVA procedures, governing documents, and project-related documents are; developed, current, deployed, completed, and archived.
- Leads, monitors, oversees, and coordinates work performed by outside contractors, construction completion, facilitates turnover interface, and performs routine Safety and quality inspections.
- Ensures successful completion of assigned projects relative to scoping, planning, scheduling, budgeting, meeting project quality and performance requirements, daily outage coordination, reports, records progress, and ensures quality, cost effectiveness, timely completion, and performance of each project assigned, including developing and maintaining good customer relations.
- Ensures daily/weekly Joint Project Team meetings and/or reviews of the project construction are conducted including; daily/weekly status and final reports are prepared, construction risks are managed, project change requests are coordinated and transmitted.
- Ensures equipment supplied meets delivery dates to contractor, materials and services provided by the contractor are satisfactory and meet specifications.
- Ensures review and interpretation of drawings for information and clearly communicates information to personnel including ensuring all work is performed per drawings.
- Ensures heavy equipment is being inspected and that TVA Form 20308 is completed.
- Ensures rigging is performed in accordance with TVA Safety requirements.
- Reviews work performed by TVA and Local Labor Union agreements to ensure a positive work relationship exists including addressing specific Labor Union business to ensure work is performed safely and within written agreements.
- Proactively manages changes in project scope, identifys potential opportiunities, and develops contingency plans to minimize exposure and risk on project. Issues stop-work order when adverse risk is identified.
- Solves technical and non-technical problems throughout the life of the project and coordinates with other TVA organizations to ensure efficient use of resources.
- Develops and presents reports defining project progress, opportunities, and solutions and ensures a current Request for Information (RFI) log is maintained with sequential numbers, dates, and descriptions.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Education: Associate Degree in Engineering Technology, Construction, technical field, or equivalent education, Journeyman training and/or related work experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required.
- Experience: Requires minimum ten years proven utility Construction/Project Manager experience, or equivalent functional area work experience. Requires specialized in-depth knowledge of Construction Management techniques, experience to resolve in-depth problems, and practical experience in project scoping and cost estimating. Ability to look beyond existing methodologies and own discipline to define and resolve complex problems and demonstrated Safety focus. A broad knowledge and experience in Coal, Gas, Hydro power plant construction/maintenance is required including an in-depth knowledge of environmental, health, and safety with respect to construction project execution is also required.
- Must have a comprehensive knowledge of generation operations and maintenance.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with all levels of management within and external to TVA.
- Must have the skills, ability, and experience commensurate with the size and complexity of the work scope. Strong facilitative leadership skills, good time-management, writing, computer (Micro-soft suite of products), and speaking skills, ability to read blueprints and drawings, ability to function effectively in a team environament, strong focus on results, self motivated, with high personal and ethical standards.
- Strong organizational skills, excellent interpersonal skills, analysis, working understanding of major procurement and construction contracting, cost accounting, budgeting, and scheduling is required.
- May be required to obtain and maintain a Sensitive Security clearance based on position / access requirements and essential job functions.
You must be a TVA retiree or former employee to perform contract work through BVI.
In addition, you must be in compliance with TVA’s Contractor Return Restrictions.